Lisa

Lisa

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Type II Diabetes - Arm Yourself for The Battle and Go for The Win

Winning a war which has been around for centuries seems pretty overwhelming. This is how many of us who have been diagnosed with diabetes feel. Overwhelmed. If you let it overwhelm you, it is going to happen. For me, that is how I have felt ever since I was diagnosed about two years ago. Fortunately, I have not felt overwhelmed as much on the forefront, mostly in the underlying current.

Underlying currents are deep and can pull you down. When we see others who have been pulled down and suffered greatly, this takes a toll on our nerves. I know that whenever I get a burning, sore right foot I am fearful of amputation. Then there is the number game with blood sugar readings going up and down. Sometimes it feels like you are playing one of those mole whacking games in an arcade. Only thing is...this arcade is our life.


So what are choices? Play mole whacker? Give up? Take action? I'll take "take action" for $1 million Alex. That is correct! Although you can't put a price on health, it is definitely worth more than a cool million to beat diabetes.


Define "beat" diabetes...Well, now that just means to get it under control. Wars all have fronts. I think that the best front for diabetes is one equipped with heavy artillery.


Ways to meet this challenge:

    * Check blood sugar daily, follow guidelines from your doctor. I use an Accu-Chek Aviva meter and love it. I am pleased with the customer service. They aren't paying me to say this. I just like to say what I like. It does not require cleaning, other than wiping it off, because the metallic sensors are in contact with the meter, instead of blood.

    * Keep all medical appointments and contact the doctor if there are abnormal readings on a consistent basis. Write down all medications, records of readings and take to the doctor. I keep a list of all medications, the strengths, dosages and what they are for. This stays in my purse. If am emergency, it is all there. I also have on the same paper all diagnoses.

    * Medication must be taken as prescribed. Otherwise, well you know, you will become very sick. Taking meds is not a sign of weakness. It is a way of taking a stronghold on diabetes.

    * Eat all meals as recommended. I have started a special Type II diabetes plan, and am in week one. I am keeping track of recipes which I favor. Also I'm trying to create new dishes. I will let you know when I have a good one.

    * Exercise as tolerated. Not everybody is going to be an Olympic champion. I have other medical issues which keep me off my feet. This is not a problem. I just chair exercise and do lots of stretches. Water exercise is also great, as you can use those foam supports.

    * Stimulate the brain. The internet can be great for social networking but getting out and socializing helps. Playing board games with family and friends, cards, puzzles, and other brain stimulators keep the cognitive juices cooking. Reading, writing, working with numbers, mentoring others all help. Let creativity flow. Artists and craft enthusiasts benefit from the release which comes with creation.

    * Emotional support is vital for proper diabetes care. When the emotions are elevated to a negative stress level, blood sugar reacts. Counseling, stress management, healthy outlets such as watching funny or sad movies, all help. 

    * Spiritual supports such as prayer, meditation, worship, inspirational reading-all help to refresh our minds and touch our souls.

So there you have it. Record, Refresh, Release, Regroup, all play a part in managing diabetes.

Be good to yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Great information! I just ate Reeses' Pieces. I don't even want to check my bs this am...

    ReplyDelete